Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Ocean and Heaven

Going back to the ocean for the first time as an adult is an amazing experience. It is probably one of the only things that you can go back to as an adult and say, "yes it is indeed as big and as powerful as I remembered as a kid". In fact I think as an adult I now have an even greater appreciation of the power and vastness of the ocean. Especially as I was there with my three (non-swimming) children. Eeek!

So, you are probably wondering what does the ocean have to do with heaven? Not quite the obvious, although I did do some praying to keep everyone safe. (Did I mention the surf was rough?) No, it really has to do with a random thought that occurred to me as I was watching the people on the beach and the ocean.

I think if you were to ask most people what heaven is like, you would get the typical responses: angels, harps, clouds, peaceful days, etc. It is where we are suppose to want to go, well versus the alternative afterlife that is. However sitting at the beach, staring at the awesomeness of the vast ocean, I couldn't help but wonder if we are missing something in our vision of heaven.


Would the God that has given us the oceans, the streams, the towering mountains, the rippling fields, the amazing animals, the vast canyons, the absolute wonders of this universe in this world which is imperfect and fallen, really only give us clouds, and harps and angels in the perfect afterlife of heaven? I think not. I think that heaven will be something that we can't even imagine. Something even more glorious then this world we live in now.

Of course I think we can all understand why God has been less then forthcoming about what heaven will be like. After all, we have our purpose here on earth to fulfill. If He were to tell us about what is waiting, why would be hang out here when there is something so much better in store for us?

However, the Bible tells us that the "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." Psalm 19:1. So when we are contemplating the Lord our God and what he has in store for us, both in this present life and the one that we will move on to, take a look around. God is not small. Don't expect small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment